In difficult times, count on Similac®
You Promise To Support And Nourish Your Baby.
We Promise To Help.
For any event that may have a potential business impact, Abbott’s three priorities are to care for our people, ensure business continuity, and help affected communities. Abbott has a longstanding, comprehensive crisis management system in place that's designed to mitigate risks to our people and operations, so that we can continue to provide critically needed products to the people who depend on them.
The safety of our customers is at the forefront of everything that we do. While health and safety standards and procedures are followed daily at our manufacturing facilities, we want to make you aware of the extra precautions we’re taking to ensure everyone stays healthy during this time of heightened concern about COVID-19.
WHAT ARE WE DOING:
- We are closely monitoring COVID-19 in our business operations and working with local teams and relevant authorities as the situation evolves.
- Our plants remain open, fully staffed, and operational to continue to provide the highest quality and supply of Similac® products, even with shelter mandates in place.
- As of now, there has been no impact on availability of Similac products or distribution in the United States. But we are aware that some parents are still unable to find product at the shelf, which we know is concerning. We are currently doing all we can to ensure ongoing and consistent distribution of our products with retailers.
- Our products are available through many direct-ship options to have what you need delivered directly to your door.
- We are taking every measure to protect the health and safety of our employees and their families. And, our staff is taking every action necessary to ensure there will be no disruption to the supply of our nutrition products.
- We are following guidance from relevant local and global government and health authorities on travel and preparedness.
- For safe bottle preparation instructions, visit: https://similac.com/baby-feeding/formula/how-to-make-bottle
Know that when you choose to feed your baby Similac, their health and safety is our top priority today and every day. Also, please stay informed by monitoring information from the CDC (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html) and your local health department.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Similac product I regularly buy is out of stock, what is Similac doing to help?
We‘re currently doing all we can to ensure ongoing and consistent distribution of our products. As of now, there has been no impact on availability or distribution of Similac products in the US. But, we are aware that some parents are still unable to find products at the shelf, which we understand is concerning.
- We've contracted local teams to work with retailers in stores nationwide to physically restock shelves with infant formula.
- We continue to work with government authorities to help safeguard the availability of infant formula products for everyone.
- Our Abbott Nutrition Store Locator and abbottstore.com resources are always available to help you locate the products you need.
How can I confirm my online abbottstore.com Similac order, or get other help with my online order?
Is it possible to get Covid-19 from foods like infant formula?
The FDA has stated that currently there is no evidence food or food packaging is associated with the transmission of COVID-19. The FDA also emphasizes safe food preparation. For safe infant feeding and infant formula preparation, start by washing your hands and remember proper bottle preparation, cleaning, and storage are always important. For safe bottle preparation instructions, visit: https://similac.com/baby-feeding/formula/how-to-make-bottle
I heard some WIC infant formula products aren’t available. What can be done?
As of now, there has been no impact on the availability of Similac products or distribution in the US. But, we are aware that some WIC participants are unable to find the products they need at the shelf.
- To help ensure all families have access to infant formula, if you are not a WIC participant, please purchase infant formula products larger than 14 oz (if you buy powdered formula), to help support the availability of products specifically covered by WIC benefits.
- We value you as a customer and appreciate your patience as we all work together to keep the products you need easily available on store shelves.
Help, I can’t find my WIC-approved Similac infant formula at the store.
We’re sorry to hear you are unable to find the Similac product you need. We know this is concerning, and we are currently doing all we can to ensure ongoing and consistent distribution of our product, including:
- Working with our local teams and with retailers, as well as federal and state authorities to help safeguard the availability of infant formula products.
- Asking parents who are not WIC participants to please purchase infant formula products that are larger than 14 oz (if they buy powdered formula), to help support the availability of products specifically covered by WIC benefits.
You can use our Abbott Nutrition Store Locator to find stores near you that carry specific Similac products. Be sure to call ahead to confirm they have your particular product in stock. You can also contact your local WIC office to ask where WIC-approved products are available in your area, or contact your state WIC office.
Will my WIC benefits work for an Amazon purchase, or can I use WIC benefits online?
State WIC benefits can be used at local retailers but not with online websites. You can use our Abbott Nutrition Store Locator to find stores near you that carry specific Similac products. Be sure to call ahead to confirm they have your particular WIC-approved product in stock. You can also contact your local WIC office to ask where WIC-approved products are available in your area.
I saw a social media post that Similac will send moms a free case of infant formula because of the COVID-19 crisis. Is this true?
While some social media posts have rumored we’re providing free cases of infant formula, this is not true. We value you as a customer and appreciate your patience as we all work together to ensure the ongoing and consistent distribution of the Similac products your baby needs. Our focus is on working closely with our local teams, retail partners, and government authorities to help safeguard the availability of infant formula products for all families and their infants.
I was recently told I can’t go back to work and now I don’t have the resources to buy enough infant formula for my baby. What should I do?
We want to help ensure all parents have access to the infant formula they need, and so we’re working with federal and state governments and the retail industry on solutions. Infant formula can be purchased with benefits from the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or food stamps) and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC). To apply for benefits, or get more information about these programs:
Your local food banks and food pantries may be able to provide help also.
If I need more infant formula, can I make my own infant formula or dilute Similac when I mix it, to make it last longer?
No, for the health and safety of your baby we urge you not to do this. Infant formula is the only safe and recommended feeding alternative to breast milk, and should not be substituted with homemade infant formula, cow’s milk, or any other feeding. Infant formula should never be watered down or diluted because it will not provide the nutrition your baby needs to grow and develop. Also, don’t buy infant formula from an online auction or social media website, because the safety and quality of the product cannot be assured.
Updated March 20, 2020 at 5 PM EST, please check back for ongoing updates. And if you have questions, we are always here for you, contact us at: 1-800-515-7677.